As many of us were disapointed by, the objectives committee (currently defunct) took the over 100 demands that came into the "Demands & Objectives" box, met every day for over two months, and never came out with any statment generalizing Occupy's demands and objectives or our principles of untiy (it was decided that making a long list of "demands" as not approopriate, but a unity statement on priniciples were agreed to, both at the beginning of occupy, and when the outreach/canvassing/M-Occu-Lections Proposal was passed in early 2012), though a summary principles of untiy statement to be put out before the raid was consensed upon by the committee and many people have participated in relevant discussions (at GA and elsewhere) over the past 8 months So, we put one together. Obviously, such a statment requires the input of many people. That is the reason it has been presented to various committees and indiividuals over the past 6 months--actions, demands and objectives, resources, faciilitation, civil engagement, etc) Dozens of individual occupiers have also given input, but we want everyone to give input (as long as it is consctructive and not a personal attack). We are posting it, below. It has shortneed and changed alot over the course of the last few months, so please read it entirely before making comments.
A DRAFT- DECLARATION OF SOLIDARITY PARK
Created by OLA principles of solidarity discussion groups, Canvassing/M-Occu-Lections and Action Committees of Occupy Los Angeles, based upon the “demands and objectives* box/survey, and much OLA consensus process.
We, the people, hold that all life on earth is interconnected and endowed with certain natural and inalienable rights. Because we are deeply concerned with, the violations of human rights perpetrated by the United States Government, both here and abroad, and fearing for the future of our planet and our children, we express here our moral and spiritual outrage regarding the failures of our political and economic systems. These failures have led to endless war for profit, poverty, species extinction, nuclear meltdowns, the murder of innocent civilians and other abominations. Rising to the challenge posed by tyranny, we stand in solidarity with one another and all people who strive not only to survive, but to lead lives of integrity and freedom. Giving voice to the voiceless, in contrast to current corrupt party agendas, we proclaim the need for a new kind of socioeconomic system in this nation, and this world, one which is based upon the following principles:
- Global peace; dismantling the military-industrial complex, foreign bases, and weapons of mass destruction and ending current wars.
- A redefinition of how productive and reproductive labor is valued.
- Reinstatement--and protection--of our civil liberties. No police state/brutality.
- Human rights for all people, including but not limited to: education, healthcare (including alternatives), social services, housing/land, and safe food, water and environments.
- A foreclosure moratorium.
- Protection and restoration of the natural world--including natural climate and water systems--and protection of animals’ rights.
- Sustainable/natural agriculture and development.
- Safe, renewable energy and energy conservation; a ban on nuclear power.
- The separation of wealth and state, and an end to poverty and income disparity.
- Direct democratic rule; open, participatory, egalitarian, horizontal democracy.
We envision a new society for our nation and our world, one in which compassion, wisdom, nature’s rights and egalitarianism rule, rather than materialism, militarism, prejudice and tyranny. As our government has proven that it cannot fairly represent us, we the people must rise up together, creating a new society through direct action, using open, transparent, participatory democracy to guide us towards solutions acceptable to all We encourage all people to join us at our direct democratic assemblies, to create their own assemblies, and to participate in direct actions/civil disobedience, creative protests, non-violent resistance, boycotts, strikes, non-participation and in whatever other non-violent ways they feel called.
A BETTER WORLD IS POSSIBLE!