Wellness directly provides holistic health care while educating and advocating for holistic health care as a human right.
Occupy Los Angeles Wellness believes health care is a human right and is dedicated to promoting the physical, mental, and emotional well-being of the Occupy Los Angeles community and the Greater Los Angeles community through direct service and advocacy. We attempt to operate holistically, remembering that wellness must treat the whole individual, and are firmly rooted in providing preventative care and education. We provide basic first aid and health care to all individuals and connect them to relevant off-site resources. Additionally, we attend off-site Occupy Los Angeles-endorsed events to provide care in case of a medical emergency.
Serves as a general forum where actions and statements regarding all Wellness endorsed items are consented upon.
What: A mobile unit that would provide resources and direct services to Occupy Los Angeles and the surrounding downtown LA community. This mobile unit requires the use of Occupy Los Angeles Wellness Committee volunteers, resources, and endorsement to use the Wellness committee name while doing outreach and providing services.
Why: Occupy Los Angeles Wellness Committee has the belief in holistic health care as a human right as a principle of solidarity. A mobile unit providing direct services puts this principle into action by providing holistic services to the community.
Wellness Committee volunteers will assemble and organize supplies in containers that can be put into a volunteer’s vehicle. Wellness committee will establish and publish a schedule for volunteers to go into the community with the “Wellness Wagon” to provide services.
- Medical subcommittee
- Social Service subcommittee
- Actions subcommittee
- Education & Outreach subcommittee
Meeting Times and Contact Info
- Wellness Assembly (WA) meets every Wednesday and Sunday. Wellness Assembly meets at 5:30pm and must adjourn by 6:30pm. All unaddressed items are tabled till next WA. Following Wellness Assembly, Wellness Subcommittees break out into their meetings. Wellness Subcommittees must adjourn by 7:30pm and all items not address are tabled till next meeting.
- Meetings occur at City Hall West Steps on Wednesdays and Pitfire Pizza on Sundays, but location is subject to change, notice of change is always provided to the google group.
- Wellness can be best contacted by emailing the google group at firstname.lastname@example.org. If that does not work, email@example.com.
- A webpage is in the works, and until then, all meeting minutes are emailed to the google group for review and to further facilitate discussion.
- Occupy LA Wellness is staffed entirely by volunteers and supplied by donations.
- Medical and/or activist experience is very helpful but not required.
- Subject to scheduling, we can train and legally certify volunteers in CPR and 1st aid.
- Those without certification can be very helpful as runners, organizers, and outreach partners.
- Those who wish to participate in directly providing services must demonstrate that they have obtained the knowledge and skill set to do so. Members must never misrepresent themselves and their skill set while providing services.
- Members must be aware that by committing to be present at actions and by providing services to people who are often times in crisis, that there is an inherent level of risk to our work. Members must commit to educating themselves on how to be safe and keep others around them safe.